Friday, March 17, 2017

The final Coconut Cup

The day after the Tour De Picayune started early!  I had to get up and drive to Miami (from Fort Myers) to finish my 6th race in the Coconut Cup Series.  I had slept good but knew there was no way I'd be able to be competitive in the race.  I geared up and headed out for a little pre-ride.  My balance felt totally off and I honestly felt like bursting in to tears I was so tired. 
I lined up at the start and as soon as those girls jumped ahead of me off the line I forgot all about being tired.  My competitiveness just completely took over! I rode the first lap in 3rd.  We were actually having a lot of fun.  The three of us were chit chatting away and having fun riding bikes!  This reminded me of why I race, and why I love this sport, and why I got up at the crack of dawn, exhausted, and drove to Miami-IT's FUN!  Yes, I'm serious about training, riding hard, and trying to win, but ultimately, I do this because it's fun!  If it ever becomes not fun, I won't do it any more.
Our chit chat session got cut short as some Cat 2 guys came around us and took down our lead rider.  I waited until she got up and we continued on.  Even though I had a decent first lap my exhaustion caught up to me.  The first place rider had gotten away in the crash, and I had to let second place go. I knew there was a rider behind me still so I kept on the gas as much as possible.  I could see her coming for me on the switch backs! 
On the last lap, the second place rider had slowed down due to a broken seat.  She was trying to finish standing up!  I went around her and ended up finishing the race in second.  I guess you just never know what's going to happen in a race!


Since this was the final race, there was a cookout afterward.  They announced the winners of each category for the Coconut Cup series.  I was second overall in the Women's Cat 1 group.

Great ending to the Florida Mountain Bike Season!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment