Monday, February 27, 2017

Amelia Coconut Cup #6

The last time I raced at Amelia (In December) it was not a great day on the bike for me.  It's, yet again, another new trail to try and learn.  Well, this time I was feeling much more confident.  The lessons I've taken with Bob McCarty in the last two months have taught me so much!  I am also in love with my new Stradalli bike.  Ever since the camping trip to Alafia (last month) I have really felt great on the bike-better than I ever have.


I headed over The Alley Saturday afternoon so I could get a few practice laps in before dark.  The course was marked and I headed out from the start line.  I was unpleasantly surprised to find that the course was backwards! Ugh, I had just figured out (kind of) how to ride it the other way.  The second practice lap went good. I'm really not sure if it's because the course is easier backward or I'm just that much more confident on my bike now, but either way, I felt like I had a decent handle on things!
Race morning dawned with another beautiful Florida sunrise.  It was going to be just another 80 degree sunny day! (yeah, I'm loving it here)  I wasn't sure how many Pro ladies would show up today.  I knew the Florida State Championship winner Simone was going to be there and that had me nervous!  I really wanted to be able to hang with her today.  It turned out it was just the two of us.


Kind of weird to race with just one other person. I was either going to finish first or last!
Simone and I joked at the start that we should just take it easy and then sprint for the finish.  But I think we both knew that wasn't going to happen. Sure enough, the whistle blew and we were immediately in an all-out sprint to get in to the single track.  Simone is a power house and she beat me into the woods.  It took me about 10 minutes to steady myself out. I was all over the place, clipped a few trees and wobbling everywhere.  About 15 minutes in I came over a jump way too hot and nearly went down in the rocks on the other side.  I somehow saved it and landed with both feet on the ground but it put me behind.  I burned a match catching back up to Simone.  I had a really hard time hanging on at this point.  I had really blown myself up.  A few more minutes down the trail Simone had caught a stick in her derailleur.  This was probably my only chance to get in front of her.  I took off knowing there was no chance in hell of dropping her but I was certainly going to try!  Even though I've really been improving a lot my skill set just isn't in line with my legs.  Without a wheel to follow I was sketchy on the corners and to be honest, I feel like I just sucked.  Boo.  Simone went back around me and we finished the first lap together.  At this point, I'm still pretty blown up.  I think what was happening is I would ride the features/techy areas like crap and then would constantly play catch up on the easier sections. This was exhausting me.  Simone got about 30 seconds on me the second lap.  I could see her on the switchbacks which would give me some hope.  Then, I had one chance to catch back up...three Cat 2 guys came around me and they were only going slightly faster than me.  I decided to try and use them to pull me back in the game.  I dropped into she-beast gear, my heart rate was in  Zone 5 and pegged, and I was just letting the drool fly out of my mouth.


I hung for quite a bit and I knew I was making progress.  Unfortunately we came to this weird carpeted pump track section. I rode it like shit and I lost the boys. Dang.  I spent the third lap riding completely blown up by myself hoping she might tire.  No such luck!  I was just coming into the finish chute and could hear the announcer announcing Simone's win.  That girl can ride! Wow.  I've got my work cut out for me between now and September when the Florida State Championship starts. 
The race today was a great test to see just how far I've come in a year.  I think its safe to say I'm about 20% faster than I have ever been.  Loads of thanks to the Naples Velo/Naples Masters gang! Thanks for being patient with me and teaching me how to road bike. The rides have been so much fun and key to my training. Joining the Stradalli team has been invaluable to me.  I've had such a fun time riding with Bob, Tom, Kelly, and Jonathan.  I've learned so many new things about riding the last two months and having a team for support at the races has been awesome!


Double Header weekend coming up.  Tour de Picayune Saturday (50 miler in the sand-gulp) and last Coconut Cup at Markham park Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment